Ava Mascuch 808
Throughout the book I realized that the Sinclairs care about what other people think more then they should. I was surprised when Cady’s mom said, “Cadence? Mummy is leaning over me...be normal now, she whispers. Right now.” This shows that the mother is very self conscious about what other people think because she won't let Cady be just a little bit different from everyone else even when she’s sick. Another example is, “We liar's used to roll our eyes at these pronouncements.” This states that the four of them wanted to be different from the Sinclairs. They wanted to show their family they didn’t care about what people around them thought and wanted to show the true side of the Sinclairs.
Later in the book I noticed that the Sinclairs did not like to befriend people who are different from them. I was shocked when Gat said, “And he tries. He goes away, educates himself, becomes a gentleman. Still, they think he’s an animal...you’re saying Granddad thinks you’re Heathcliff? I promise you he does, says Gat.” This quote makes me feel sorry for Gat because it must be hard to feel so isolated from everyone else. I can’t believe the Sinclairs won’t accept Gat just because he’s different. A second example in the book is,”If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces.” This statement is very true to Cady’s situation with Gat because in order for her to be and have what she wants she must make some sacrifices.
We Were Liars teaches the readers that the Sinclairs care too much about display and what people think when they see them passing by. I think that many people in our world care too much about what other people think which can be good to a certain extent, but you have to make sure it doesn’t change who you are.
ava, your response to the book is really interesting. i think that you really got a good lesson out of the book. i have also read the book and i agree with your thoughts on it. good job! this was really nuanced.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this article because I do think that people sometimes obsess with how they look. You crafted this essay really well. I also liked how you were talking about a book but your title was not the name of the book, but a question. Keep up the good work
ReplyDeleteYour piece was very well written. I liked how you started your intro with a question it made me think about it and try and answer it at the end of your piece. Also all of your topic sentences were very nice.
ReplyDelete